Forget the Note 6 and say hello to the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, the latest and most powerful phablet from the Korean brand. Besides boasting the same premium build, burly specs, and intuitive features consumers have come to expect from Samsung’s flagship line, the newest Note 7 also comes with more tricks under the hood, including IP68 certification for both the body and S Pen; robust security measures; and HDR playback support, among others.
It struts the same Samsung Exynos 8890 processor found on the Samsung Galaxy S7, but this time clocked at a slower 2.3 GHz on the fastest cores versus the latter’s 2.6 GHz speed. Memory buffer also stays the same at 4 GB, but internal storage got a significant bump to 64 GB expandable with a microSD. The camera arrays at the front and back are likewise similar at 5 MP and 12 MP Dual Pixel, respectively. Powering these innards is a 3500 mAh non-removable Li-Ion battery with fast wireless charging. The whole build is IP68 certified, meaning it can be submerged underwater up to five feet for up to 30 minutes.
As with most phones under the Galaxy Note lineup, the Note 7 is much bigger than its S7 counterpart. It arrives with a 5.7 inch Quad HD Super AMOLED display overlaid with Corning Gorilla Glass 5. The left and right edges of the screen are curved in order to make its glass and aluminum build easier to handle, on top of providing intuitive edge-swipe controls. As a whole, the screen is able to output high dynamic range videos with richer colors and deeper blacks. Combined with the Samsung Galaxy VR, users can get more immersed in their multimedia content.
A Note smartphone wouldn’t be complete without the S Pen, and it’s been improved with a finer 0.7 mm thin tip and more sensitive pressure detection.
Finally, the Note 7’s security features boast not only a fingerprint scanner, but also a new iris scanning technology which Samsung is claiming to be 100x more reliable than the fingerprint sensor.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is set to hit shelves on August 20 with a price tag of PHP 39,990 bundled with a free Gear VR for pre-orders.
- Processor: Octa-core 64-bit Samsung Exynos 8890 @ 2.3 GHz (four cores @ 2.3 GHz, four cores @ 1.6 GHz)
- GPU: Mali T-880
- RAM: 4 GB LPDDR4 RAM
- Memory: 64 GB internal storage, microSD expandable up to 256 GB (uses SIM 2 slot)
- Display: 5.7 inch Quad HD Super AMOLED Dual Edge display protected with Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Cameras: 12 MP Dual Pixel f/1.7 rear with Phase Detection Autofocus, Optical Image Stabilization, and LED flash; 5 MP f/1.7 front
- Battery: 3500 mAh non-removable Li-Ion with Fast Wireless Charging
- Operating System: Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 with TouchWiz
- Connections: Dual nanoSIM; 4G LTE; WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Dual Band; Bluetooth 4.2; GPS; A-GPS; NFC; USB-C 3.1
- Dimensions: 153.5 x 73.9 x 7.9 mm ; 169 g
- Colors: Blue coral, gold platinum, silver titanium, black onyx
- Others: Fingerprint Reader; Iris Scanner; IP68 certified, Stylus
- Price: PHP 39,990