FPG Insurance is rolling out two new group insurance plans that provide coverage to users of bicycles and motorcycles.
The plans, named MyCyclingClub Mate for cyclists and MyMotoClub Mate for bikers, were designed primarily to promote road safety awareness. As insurance instruments, both plans cover accidental death, permanent disability, medical reimbursement and third-party liability, among other benefits, after an accident when using a motorcycle or bicycle.
FPG’s new insurance plans are a timely response to the surge in the popularity of cycling and biking since the pandemic began, with more people now turning to these modes of conveyance as an alternative way to move faster from point A to point B for work, for business, for adventure and solo sojourns.
Unfortunately, the rising number of bicycles and motorcycles on the road comes with higher risks of accidents. Statistically, as they grew in number so did a notable increase in road crashes involving them.
The resurgence of bicycles during the pandemic has been seen in places once dominated by private cars and public transportation. As proof, 2.1 million bikes were imported into the Philippines in 2020, up 112% from 2019.
During the same period, the Metro Manila Accident Reporting and Analysis System (MMARAS) reported that the number of bicycles involved in road accidents doubled from 2018 and 2019 to 2020.
As for motorcycle and scooters, available data showed the Philippines posted the fastest growth at 32.3 percent to 867,453 units in 2021 from 655,440 units the previous year. According to the MMARAS report, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) recorded a total of 26,768 motorcycles involved in road accidents in 2021 which was an increase of 1,560 from the previous year.
MyCyclingClub Mate is a Group Personal Accident Insurance specifically designed for cyclists while MyMotoClub Mate is the counterpart Group Personal Accident Insurance for motorcycle riders.
Each of these programs covers bodily injuries caused by an accident 24 hours a day, 365 days in a year, anywhere in the world, whether you’re at home or while travelling by land or sea or while riding as a passenger on commercial flights. It even provides for a victim of dog bites, snake bites, drowning and natural calamities.
Common provisions of the plans include:
- Accidental Death – Pays up to the Sum insured in the event of death due to accident.
- Disablement/Dismemberment – When injury does not result in loss of life of the Insured after the accident but results to losses of limbs, sight, ears, etc.
- Unprovoked Murder and Assault Endorsement – Pays for death or permanent disablement sustained as a direct result of the insured being a victim of Unprovoked Murder or Assault
- Accidental Medical Reimbursement – Pays for medical expenses incurred due to accidental bodily injury.
- Daily Hospital Income Benefit (Due To Accident) – Pays for the daily allowance to the insured as a result of accident hospital confinement up to a maximum of 7 days
- Fire Assistance Benefit – Pays for the loss and damages incurred to the Insured’s declared house residence or contents due to fire and lightning.
- Personal liability plan – Pays for the insured for costs and expenses, which the insured may be obligated to pay for the damage to a property belonging to a third party because of negligence.
For an annual premium of PHP200, policyholders will get up to PHP100,000, to cover the cost of the insured’s accidental death.
The target market is Bikers and Cyclist Associations with at least 20 members aged between 18-65 years old. The insured must declare their permanent residence address upon issuance.
Ms. Sharon Navarro, FPG Insurance’s chief underwriting officer, said, “At FPG Insurance, we are committed to providing innovative insurance solutions that cater to the evolving needs of our customers. Our MyCyclingClub Mate and MyMotoClub Mate aim to promote road safety for cyclists and bikers who ride in groups as our latest plans offer comprehensive coverage that gives them peace of mind while they’re on the road,”.
June is a special month for FPG Insurance as they celebrate their 65th anniversary on June 5, with a special collaboration with Ayala for the Green Run marathon on June 25.
For more information about MyCyclingClub Mate and MyMotoClub Mate, visit FPG Insurance’s website at https://www.fpgins.com.