Last September 1, IdeaSpace Foundation, Inc. announced their national competition encouraging submissions from all parts of the country for startup ideas in technology entrepreneurship. The results are finally in, and the foundation has selected the top 20 finalists who will compete for ten slots for the opportunity to incubate their startup for six months under the wing of the IdeaSpace Foundation.
The 20 finalists bested nearly 700 entries from all over the country. Eleven entries were from Luzon (including eight from Metro Manila), six from the Visayas, and three from Mindanao. The foundation claims that majority of the finalists are mobile and software solutions for the energy, agriculture, transportation and healthcare industries.
Final judging will take place on April 5. The ten winners will undergo a six-month incubation period sponsored by IdeaSpace and will be given an initial funding of PHP 500,000. They will also receive up to PHP 2,000,000 worth of funding and support, which includes legal assistance, training and mentoring from the members of the foundation, as well as from the executives in the MVP Group of Companies. Each incubatee can get up to PHP 5 million additional capital after the incubation period, depending on the needs of the startup.
Below is the complete list of finalists with brief descriptions of their startup ideas, as provided by IdeaSpace Foundation, Inc.:
- AgriCultureTechnology (Metro Manila) – a technology that monitors growth of aquatic livestock
- Armtech (Angeles City) – an affordable water purification machine for the household
- CornerData (Metro Manila) – a simplified data gathering technology for agriculture and disaster preparedness using electronic sensors
- DateCola (Davao) – natural date enriched beverages
- DepEd Smart Cloud (Angeles City) – an enterprise solution for public school system
- FindmyDok (Davao) – a solution that lets users search for doctors
- Lost Meets Found (Cebu) – an online solution for lost-and-found objects
- miCab (Cebu) – a smartphone solution for getting a cab, with or without mobile Internet
- Mirand (Metro Manila) – a low-cost and high-quality total joint implant for the Asian market
- Nambal.com (Cebu) – an online healthcare system with portable features
- PGRS (Metro Manila) – a service that produces electricity via rumble strips on high traffic roads
- PinoyTravel (Metro Manila) – a mobile technology that enables reservation for provincial bus seats PortfolioMNL (Metro Manila) – an online marketplace for creative professionals
- Prodigo (Manila) – a solution for targeted promotions and analytics
- SafeCab (Cebu) – a solution that provides feedback for cab commuters
- Summarize and Notify (Leyte) – a technology that searches the web, summarizes information and notifies users
- Tech4Health (Metro Manila) – a solution for health monitoring of chronic conditions like diabetes
- TimeFree (Zamboanga) – an SMS-based automated queuing system
- Tudlo (Cebu) – a system that teaches, guides and points during a disaster and/or emergency situation
- WeGen (Sorsogon) – a new design of wind turbine that is more efficient than the current technology