The Smart Wireless Engineering Education Program (SWEEP) is a first-of-its-kind and the longest-running industry-academe partnership that aims to promote the level of technology and engineering education in the Philippines. In this initiative, SWEEP offers students scholarships, training programs, lectures, and workshops on the latest trends in mobile technologies
Now on its 11th year, Smart Wireless Engineering Education Program Innovation and Excellence Awards has become a platform for students to present game-changing ideas—mobile and web technologies–that, when executed, can help improve people’s lives.
With the theme, “Building Cloud-Based Communities,” this year’s tech competition saw a flood of mobile application entries that seek to transform the mobile phone into tools for safety, disaster preparedness and response, governance, and transport. The top 10 entries were shortlisted from 120 entries that were submitted to Smart this year.
“At Smart, we encourage innovations using mobile technologies that enable Filipinos to live more, and the SWEEP Awards has become a venue for engineering and IT students to do just that and be recognized for their exemplary efforts,” said Ramon R. Isberto, head of Public Affairs at Smart.
The top 10 finalists are as follows:
- Smart Marketing Assistance and Product Trading (S-MART) App (mobile commerce)
- Smart IMAGE: Instant Multiple-Option Assessor for General Examinations (tool to help check test papers)
- Smart I-PRINT (printing app)
- Smart A.S.S.: Aerial Surveillance System (disaster preparedness and response app)
- SENTINEL: Smart Emergency Necklace Triggering Internet-Enabled Locator (app for safety and emergencies)
- Smart RESERVE (app to reserve bus seats)
- AIDPH: A Web and Mobile-Based Application for Philippine Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Information System (disaster preparedness and response app)
- Constello (social networking app)
- ALMS: Automated Landslide Monitoring System (disaster preparedness and response app)
- #Bayanihan: A Unified Cloud-Based Application for the Local Government Units (governance app)
These mobile app innovations will vie for the top prizes that include PHP 500,000 for the grand champion, PHP 200,000 for the 1st runner-up, and PHP 100,000 for the 2nd runner-up. An equivalent amount will be given to the teams’ respective schools as grants.
SWEEP Open Competition
Entries are still being accepted for the SWEEP Open Competition. This category is for college students from non-SWEEP schools. They will compete for the best mobile applications that make use of location services and SMS technology. Five winning entries will win cash prizes, plus a warrant that their innovation will be commercialized. Deadline for submission of entries is on December 5, 2014.
To become a SWEEP partner-school and to know more about the program, click on www.smartsweep.ph.